Monday, December 3, 2012

Back in the creative ring...

After a period of creative frustration, my right hand seems healed back to its old self. I tested it out over the last few days with some intensive making, and said limb came up trumps. I'm back in the ring!

I discovered last Friday, whilst browsing a local paper, that an art exhibition run by Byron Community Centre was accepting entries in several categories. The closing date was the following Monday, which meant I had the weekend to get sorted. There was a watercolour and acrylics painting, 'Celestial Ocean', ready to go, it just needed framing up....

                                                     
I also wanted to put in one of the little dudes I make up, under the sculpture category. So, creative chaos ensued. I'm definitely not a neat person when amongst it. I like to be able to see all the beads, fabrics and wools I'm working with, which tend to be spread out all over the place. It's a bit like collage in three dimensions.

The head, especially facial features, is probably the most time consuming single part. I make it, then hands and feet out of Super Sculpey oven baked clay. Strengthened with lengths of wire inserted as a kind of armature. Then a body out of felt, and finally the clothes go over the top of it all.

Its a very organic process, no preliminary drawings, I just play with the clay. Then get inspired by the materials I have to hand. Often gathered at op shops, garage sales, as hand me downs or from chuck out piles.

Hopefully, resulting in the birthing of a little dude with character....

                                          
                  
I put my registration through yesterday. Now its a matter of waiting for the results to come in, to see if I get hung. The Byron Arts Classic exhibition goes up in early January and runs for a week.

2 comments: