Friday, April 29, 2011

Medicine bag....



When i reread 'Clan of the Cave Bear' i so loved when Iza, the clan medicine woman, gave Ayla, her adopted daughter and apprentice, her first medicine bag, that I decided to do the same for myself. In the tale each pouch of herbs is identified by a series of knots on the cords holding them, which is also an image I dig. So, I made mine one  from a possum skin, but u could do something similar just with a piece of fabric if that freaks you out. As u can see its a simple pattern that folds over and has drawstrings running up the sides. So far its got bush flower essences, meditation and emergency mix, motherwort tincture, rosehip oil and space to add more. Not really enough space for much dried herbs, but tinctures or vinegars yes. My dried herbs live in jars but Id love to make them calico bags with patterns and symbols relating to each plant on them....and the funky knot thang to identify whos who.

4 comments:

  1. I was gifted one of these bags but a Native American elder before she died. Her sister actually gave it to me because she was already in a coma. It wasn't until I got home I saw that it contained vials of herbs. What do you do with them? I see you have oils but I am wondering when you carry your medicine bag around, when/how do you use the contents inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BabiGyrl....
      It seems to me that the Elders sister, by passing on to you this medicine bag is encouraging your own healing, herbal or ritual skills. I made my bag as a kind of 'first aid' kit and as such it contains oils, flower essences and tinctures from herbs that I have a connection to, and I imagine it would be similar in the case of your gifted bag. If you can identify the herbs included, then that would help you with working out how to use them, whether as incense, taken internally or applied externally. Perhaps the Elder already let you know? I wouldnt recommend using them without knowing what particluar plants have been chosen, which may later lead to why. Id begin by researching herbal traditions in the area where the Elder lived for ideas. Id treat this medicine bag with respect, and as a rather special riddle youve been given to solve, and perhaps learn along the way. My bag lives next to my altar most of the time. Hope that helps some....

      Delete
    2. thank you, it was very helpful to know you use yours as a first aid kit. My herbs and oils are not first aid (powdered nutmeg and myrrh oil is an example), so I am wondering how this bag would be used. I will take your advice though, thank you Opal!

      Delete
    3. thank you, Opal! I will take your advice :-)

      Delete