Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Creating altars...some musings...


Altars are important to me, aside from being one of the few non-messy places in my home, I love beauty, often in natural forms and found objects. Displaying such things for the pleasure of deity and spirit rocks my world.  However, once you start, they do have the tendency to overflow into other areas of the house. Loose altars pop up in odd places, next to the kitchen sink, on the stand in the bathroom, on top of cupboards. Basically any flat surface is open slather, so be warned you may gather around yourself symbolic and significant items that reflect your soul.
So what’s the difference between a flat surface covered in books, remote controls, ex cuppas, red poppy seeds, a pincushion, mobile phone, and an altar? Well the aforementioned chaos, sitting next to me as I type is a shrine to what’s been going on today, but its formed organically rather than been arranged for beauty and to focus intention. Altars are generally put together with a specific purpose or occasion, perhaps to share with others, or just to get one’s self into a shifted state.
 My brain is a chaotic place sometimes and structure helps keep it on target, whilst flexability can allow its creative side to flourish. I find this combo works for me in my altars too. I’m trying to have a regular altar practice where I change flowers, clean, light incense, candles, but also just spend  time hanging out and keeping the energy flowing by appreciating what’s there by simply gazing.
It’s all pretty meditational and I imagine that at some point your life could morph into an altar. Everything in it treated with respect, soul, appreciative type energy. Sounds good, but for now, especially as a creative project type, the tidyness aspect just happens in pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment