Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spring altar...

The night before last was the new moon, the perfect time to plant seeds and reassess what you are wanting to create in your life as the moon waxes towards full once more. I used a piece of the hand made paper my granma Alice left me, to write a list on. She made paper from nigh on every kind of plant material she could get her hands on, this was a piece embedded with petals and was lovely to use. I had wanted to use an atmospheric feather quill to write it, and so tried to make one from an eagles feather, but it made my writing splattery rather than calligraphic, so in the end I simply dipped a wooden shish kebab stick into the ink and wrote, which worked.

I set up a spring altar and have been picking fresh flowers for it, as I try to connect with the spirit of Brigid, as the spring maiden. After the strong connection I felt to Cailleach Bhur, the croney winter goddess,  Ive found it hard to let her go and connect to more of a youthfull maiden energy. I love the growth in the garden, its busting its seams and Ive been harvesting greens almost daily, but I have been feeling disconnected from the maiden at this time said to belong to her...
Some say Cailleach and Brigid fight it out at winters end, or that Cailleach either turns to stone, or morphs form becoming Brigid. Im sticking to the latter theory, but the years wheel turns either way. In a journey i was shown the aspects of enthusiasm, innovation and passion of the maiden, she creates the forms and focus for her time. The outward manifestations of a muse Brigid is sometimes depicted with a crown of inspirational flame emerging from her head.

Maybe Ive just been doing too much crochet and missing Alice.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment